Masterplan would like to update you on the most recent change to the Building Inspection Division of the Sustainable Development and Construction department at the City of Dallas. As of April 1, 2020, the Building Inspection Division will not be issuing permits for elective construction or additions and remodels. Building permit applications for this scope of work will be accepted, reviewed, and processed; but no permits will be issued from the City of Dallas until the County order placed by County Judge Jenkins and the Mayor of Dallas is lifted.
This order can be found at the following link, https://dallascounty.org/Assets/uploads/docs/covid-19/orders-media/033120-DallasCountyOrder.pdf
Please note that most personal service, theatre, and uses that create a congregation of people is prohibited as detailed below.
The Order defines “Essential Business” as:
- Essential Healthcare Operations
- Essential Governmental Functions
- Essential Critical Infrastructure
- Stores that Sell Groceries and Other Essential Supplies
- May only provide take out, delivery, or drive-through services. Customers may order and pay inside, but are prohibited from waiting inside the restaurant for their food. All food must be brought outside to customers. To allow for increased access to restaurants, this Order hereby suspends all laws and regulations prohibiting people from walking in a drive-through.
- Food Cultivation
- Delivery of Groceries and Essential Supplies
- Gas Stations and Business Needed for Transportation
- Gas stations, auto-supply stores, auto-repair, and bicycle repair. Auto-dealerships, for in-person mechanical services or to complete an online transaction on an appointment basis only. Gas stations and convenience stores are prohibited from selling self-service food items.
- Critical Trades
- Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, janitors, lawn care service, pool cleaners, maintenance and security, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operations of residences.
- Financial Institutions
- Banks and related depository financial institutions, credit unions, insurance companies, title companies, payroll and accounting services. Non-depository institutions (payday lenders) are prohibited.
- IT Services/Telecommunication Services
- Essential Retail
- Laundromats, dry cleaners, and laundry service providers., hardware stores, and related facilities. Firearm and ammunition suppliers and retailers for purposes of safety and security. Hardware stores and business that sell electrical, plumbing, and other materials necessary to support Essential Businesses, and Essential Government Functions, and Critical Infrastructure.
- Hotels and Motels
- Hotels and motels, to the extent used for lodging or delivery or carry-out food services.
- Providers of Basic Necessities to Economically Disadvantaged Populations
- Essential Services Necessary to Maintain Essential Operations of Residences of Other Essential Businesses
- Including but not limited to mail, shipping and delivery services, warehouse/distribution and fulfillment, storage, moving services, janitorial services, laundry services, computer, audio or video electronics, sanitary equipment, and medical equipment.
- Supplies to Work from Home
- Public and Private Education
- News Media
- Childcare Services
- Animal Care Services
- Religious and Worship Services
- Funeral Services
The City will continue with inspections on already permitted and issued projects, but contractors need to be aware of the County order restrictions and limitations.
Masterplan is a privately held nearly 40 year old business based in Dallas, TX that specializes in assisting businesses, individuals, utilities, and government agencies regarding all matters of land use. Our firm specializes in zoning changes in Dallas, TX; Houston, TX; and Austin, TX. We routinely handle Planned Development Districts, Conditional Use Permits, Special Use Permits, and all zoning matters. Likewise, we assist in expediting building permits across the state of Texas as well as assist with building code issues. Let our experience be your success. Masterplan’s related company, LaBarba Permit Service (www.labarbapermitservice.com), is celebrating its 55th year in business and specializes in obtaining approvals from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC).