Client Name: Southern Land Company
Novē at Knox is a 19-story luxury multifamily living to the Dallas Knox-Henderson district with 310 apartment homes and penthouses. This project was developed by national award-winning real estate developer, Southern Land Company, in partnership with KBS, one of the largest owners of real estate in the US.
Designed by GDA Architects, the property features a variety of luxury in-home amenities, including high-efficiency stainless steel appliances, personal washers and dryers, granite countertops, 10-foot ceilings, and floor-to-ceiling windows providing spectacular views of the city. Additional amenities available to all residents include 10,000 square feet of private open space connected to McKinney Avenue; a resort-style pool on the fourth floor with a large sundeck, outdoor kitchen, and private cabanas; a full fitness center and yoga studio; a dog park and washing station; and 24-hour concierge service.
- The site had to be rezoned. Previously, the tract where the Novē high-rise sits (on the west side of North Central Expressway at the southwest corner of North Central and Oliver Street) was zoned as an O-2 Office Subdistrict within the Oak Lawn Special Purpose District, PD No. 193. The second tract of the site (on McKinney Avenue, south of its intersection with Oliver Street), which is now a 10,000-square-foot private park, was zoned an MF-2 Multiple Family Subdistrict. Masterplan was enlisted to help navigate the entitlement process, meet with the right stakeholders (including the Oak Lawn Committee and the City of Dallas), and clearly communicate the value and benefits of the project.
- While the entitlement process was underway, it was incredibly important for us to follow a process of becoming a good neighbor, too, particularly with the immediate neighbors, Brighton Lofts North and South, the townhome community that is right next to Novē. We shared our plans and designs and had many honest conversations with them. We have cultivated a good relationship, and now residents of Brighton Lofts North and South have access to the private park, pool and fitness center. An open line of communication was, and still is, imperative. Additionally, they rebuilt the alley that runs between Novē and Brighton Lofts North and South, which is a neighborhood improvement that benefits many residents in the immediate area.
- Presented to Oaklawn committee and Dallas City Council.
- Because there is a single-family residential building directly across the street, a private family pocket park was created to maintain the family friendly feel of the area and connect the apartment community to McKinney Avenue.
- Masterplan was successful in rezoning the site for the park and apartment building.
Dallas Cothrum, PhD
Chief Executive Officer
Throughout his career, Dr. Cothrum has worked on numerous politically charged and technically difficult cases. He is responsible for consulting with and advising clients on requirements for zoning and permit applications for various area municipalities. His practice includes significant experience in public presentations before community groups, municipal boards, commissions, and councils concerning zoning changes, variances, and plats. Dr. Cothrum typically assists clients from due diligence and site selection through the entire zoning and building permit process, culminating with a certificate of occupancy.