Client Name: Sonic Automotive
Farmers Branch, Texas
- Specific Use Permit
Tactical Fleet offers storage for high-end, exotic, and luxury vehicles. The new site located at 14325 Gillis Road, STE 100 in Farmers Branch, Texas, is being developed by Sonic Automotive with assistance from Masterplan. Sonic Automotive is one of the largest automotive retailers in the United States and represents over 20 different new vehicle brands as well as EchoPark Automotive. It is a fortune 300 company based in North Carolina.
The Tactical Fleet project will feature changes to the landscaping including the addition of ornamental trees along Gillis Road, increased area, along with added shrubs, grass, and artificial turf. As far as infrastructure, the 98,000 square foot adaptive re-use will have 183 vehicle bays for storage, 15 vehicle lifts, and 60 additional parking spaces in the parking lot.
- The city was extremely strict about the landscaping improvements that needed to be made.
- The automotive use didn’t meet the guidance for the area as set out in the comprehensive plan.
- Significant improvements were made to the landscaping.
- Showed that the project also included some form of entertainment along with the retail, like serving beverages to customers.
- Highlighted the tax benefits of the business to the local community.
- This project is still in the process of being approved. It recently went for recommendation of approval by the council.
Amy Mathews has a true dedication to helping municipalities and clients navigate zoning and land use changes. Amy is responsible for Due Diligence, Urban Planning, Zoning and Land Use, and Development Codes. With roughly 22 years of experience, she is well versed in municipal development & redevelopment, ordinance writing, working with elected officials on land use planning projects, and much more. Before joining Masterplan, she worked for the County of San Diego as an Urban Planner, and worked for the Cities of Little Elm, Rowlett, Flower Mound, Frisco, Richardson, and DeSoto in various roles such as, City Planner, Senior Planner, Planning Manager, and Planning & Zoning Manager.