Zoning is complex and change is normally met with resistance by neighbors and governmental officials alike. Masterplan has decades of experience working through many complicated zoning issues, from interpreting standards to lobbying for change. The firm has proven methods to prepare reluctant groups to consider that change may be a positive.
Role of Zoning
Real estate investors and developers must understand the purpose of zoning in order to comply with regulators or lobby for change.
- Controls development of property by controlling two aspects of land use. First, the uses permitted within a given zoning district are identified, and second, the amount of building that may be developed on a parcel of land is regulated.
- Sets standards for building setbacks, building height, parking, screening, and permitted activities.
- Specifies the amount of parking required for each use and the size and number of signs permitted.
It’s important to remember that zoning patterns are not necessarily a statement of current policies. Land uses evolve as the goals of a community or landowner change, as the population grows, and in response to serving the needs of a community. An effective zoning advocate understands how to communicate how zoning changes will benefit the community.
- Experience. Our diverse and extensive range of knowledge, capabilities, and services ensures your project is getting the oversight it needs to conform to local and state governance requirements. The firm has worked on complicated, multiple site projects that require numerous zoning changes, abandonments, permits and plats to happen simultaneously—sometimes in multiple municipalities.
- Vast network. Our connections in municipal government and the private sector make us uniquely suited to advocate for your zoning project. Staff members are active in professional organizations and serve on a range of city commissions and community boards of directors.
- Turnkey services. Our interdisciplinary team handles every aspect of the zoning case, including organizing community meetings and other outreach. Our unique approach involves a combination of technical knowledge, tried-and-true experience and effective persuasion when we present to city council and commissions.
- Size. As the largest firm specializing in zoning changes in North Texas, Masterplan is well versed and equipped to handle all of your land use and zoning cases.
- Success. We have successfully obtained thousands of government approvals for clients. Masterplan has been tasked by several institutional users on large programs, including Oncor (formerly the TXU Corporation), DART, and Dallas ISD. In these instances, the firm obtained all approvals from the point of application through passing final inspection and receiving a certificate of occupancy.